Tooth Extractions – San Antonio, TX
Giving Your Smile a Chance
by Removing Damaged Teeth
You are gifted only one full set of teeth, and we will do everything we can to help these pearly whites remain in place as long as possible. However, when one or more become severely damaged or decayed, it puts your remaining smile at risk. To avoid a decline in your oral and overall health, our team at Orbis Dental Group may recommend tooth extraction. Although never used as an immediate go-to solution, you can expect that we will ensure optimal comfort and safety should a tooth extraction in San Antonio be required. If you are concerned about a tooth, please don’t hesitate to give us a call.
Why Choose Orbis Dental Group for Tooth Extractions?
- Sedation Dentistry for Anxious Patients
- Same-Day Emergency Appointments Available
- We Will File with Your PPO Dental Insurance
When Are Tooth Extractions Necessary?
As we previously mentioned, tooth extractions are not something our team will ever immediately recommend, however, if we find that any of the following situations exist, you can expect that we will suggest the removal of one or more teeth:
- There is clear decay that has spread deep within the tooth and is now putting surrounding teeth at risk.
- You have suffered severe facial trauma that causes one or more teeth to no longer be savable.
- You must undergo orthodontic treatment for overcrowding, and to ensure that the teeth move into proper alignment, one or more must be removed.
- You need dental prosthetics but have existing natural teeth that are likely to fall out, so tooth removal is recommended before moving forward with the placement of dentures or dental implants.
The Tooth Extraction Process
The process of tooth extraction includes local anesthesia so that you don’t feel any pain and additional anesthesia as needed to keep you comfortable throughout the procedure. The procedure itself typically takes less than an hour, and results and recovery are very safe and predictable.
Tooth Extraction Recovery and Home Care
The most important things to know about recovery from a tooth extraction are:
- Blood Clots: It is very important to form a strong blood clot following surgery. You can help the process by biting on a gauze pad for about an hour following the procedure.
- Straws and Smoking: Do not use straws or tobacco products for several days following the surgery, as this will dislodge the clot, resulting in a very painful condition called “dry socket.”
- Pain Management: As the anesthesia wears off, you may experience soreness for a few days. Patients are typically able to manage the pain adequately with over-the-counter pain medications such as Ibuprofen. Any necessary prescription medicines will be discussed before your surgery.
I Need a Checkup & Cleaning I Want a Holistic Dentist I am Worried About Gum Disease I Have a Cavity or Broken Tooth I Want a Straighter Smile I am Missing One or More Teeth I Want to Enhance My Smile I Have Jaw Pain I'm Having Trouble Sleeping I am Scared of the Dentist I Have a Dental Emergency View Our Services